The Barras were all bowled yesterday out for 295 runs in the first innings.Veteran Mahuru Dai was the stand out batter scoring a 129 runs of which consisted of 9 fours and 5 sixes.Afghanistan put themselves right back in the game in the second innings thanks to Mohammad Shahzad’s 116 runs.Afghanistan finished at sumps on day two at 3/284 with Hashmatullah Shahidi (92*) and Asghar Stanikzai (45*) not out.Day three will see play resume today at 9:45am (3:45pm PNG time).
Magistrate Kennedy Peabody of the Monrovia City Court yesterday refused to sign a US$50,000 bond filed to have defendant Mohammed Sambola, accused of recording and exposing a sex video of a female (name withheld), released from detention at the Monrovia Central Prison.The charges, which include disseminating obscene material and terrorist threat, brought against Sambola qualifies him for a bail of US$5,000; however, the International Insurance Company that is the surety for the defendant’s release and subsequent daily appearance at the court increased the bond to US$50,000, which Magistrate Peabody was uncomfortable to sign yesterday.Despite persistent engagements by defense lawyers, Peabody showed no interest to affix his signature to the document.It still remains unclear what Peabody’s motive was yesterday for not approving the bond to release Sambola, who was jailed on Thursday, September 28, for his failure to secure the very bond to have him freed.The dramatic situation happened after Peabody scheduled the hearing of the matter at 4 p.m., but surprisingly, when the lawyer and the defendant’s family appeared, the magistrate was nowhere to be seen in the courtyard, even up to 5 p.m.The incident that landed Sambola in jail occurred on June 26 of this year when he allegedly escaped from prosecution and was sought for recording and releasing the sex video, the prosecution said.According to prosecution, the video only showed Sambola allegedly encouraging his female partner (face up) to do the recording, while he was in the midst of the ‘act.’The sex tape was posted on a social media chat room administrated by some members of the ruling Unity Party (UP), the court document alleged.It also said that Sambola’s action violates Section 13.7 of the Penal Law of the country.The record alleges that the video recording showed the lady performing fellatio (oral sex) on defendant Sambola, with said material appearing on the Facebook social media platform.The document also claimed that Sambola’s action put his female friend at the risk of exposure, which infringed on her privacy, as the defendant threatened to harm her.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
THIS is the dramatic scene as gorse fires threaten a number of houses on the Inishowen Peninusla.The terrifying picture was taken on Friday evening at Glengad, between Culdaff an Malin. The fire was eventually contained and nobody was hurt.Just two days previously a number of gorse fires in West Donegal caused havoc when they damagedtwo house and two garages.One of the houses wrecked in the gorse fires belonged to a family who were holidaying in Portugal when they heard of the blaze.Acting Chief Fire Officer, Bobby McMenamin, told donegaldaily.com that conditions were still rife for gorse fires breakingout across the county.“With a lack of rain and a lack of green grass in places, conditions are ideal for older grass to catch fiire and spread.“This is what has happeed in various parts of the county in recent days and we have been very busy as a result.“We are asking people to be very careful and not to throw away cigarettes or start fires on purpose when burning rubbish or whatever. “Even the smallest of actions can have the most serious of consequences.“Already a number of properties have been damaged as a direct result of gorse fires and we are asking people to be vigilantat all times,” he said.PICTURE BY: newspixirl EndsGORSE FIRES STILL THREATEN TO CAUSE HAVOC – FIRE CHIEF was last modified: April 24th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Glengadgorse fire
The scene of the operation this eveningBREAKING NEWS: THE Coast Guard’s 118 rescue helicopter has been assisting a man stranded at Malin Head tonight.The fisherman became trapped on rocks off the tower area just before dusk.The rescue helicopter was scrambled from its base in Sligo to help the angler who had been fishing off rocks in the area. The Greencastle lifeboat assisted in the operation to rescue the Latvian national.“An angler became stranded on rocks when the tide turned and thankfully he has been winched to safety and brought ashore where he has received some medical treatment but he is fine,” said a Coast Guard spokesman.“Luckily the man was spotted by someone on shore who noticed that the angler was stranded and raised the alarm.”The nearby Malin Head Coast Guard station has coordinated the rescue, which came just hours after a Fine Gael Donegal TD hit out at claims that the station is being made part-time. Joe McHugh was responding to newspaper and radio reports which appeared to show the Co Donegal outpost was facing staff cuts and a reduction to cover during just 12 hours each day.But Deputy McHugh told Donegal Daily that he had been assured by Minister Leo Varadkar that these plans “do not exist.” COAST GUARD HELICOPTER IN MALIN HEAD RESCUE was last modified: December 31st, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:coast guardMalin Headrescue
Glenwilly produced a brilliant display to power past the challenge of Mac Cumhaills in their Donegal SFC quarter-final at O’Donnell Park this afternoon. Glenswilly kicked twelve points in a dominant first-half display, but a goal from Darren O’Leary just before the interval gave the Ballybofey men hope as they trudged towards the dressing room at half-time.However, a goal just a minute into second-half by Michael Murphy put Glenswilly back in the ascendancy as they restored their six point advantage – in a game they eventually won by nine points. Murphy was instrumental throughout the game and just reiterated once again how important he is for Glenswilly.He scored a late goal to seal a brilliant win for Michael Canning’s side.Glenswilly won the Donegal SFC in 2011 and 2013, and lost the 2014 decider to St Eunan’s.Their side is stacked with quality and experience and they managed and controlled the game expertly to ensure they gained a comfortable win. Mac Cumhaills to their credit battled gamely, and never stopped trying to force the initiative – but Glenswilly snuffed out the threat time after time as they eased to an ultimately comfortable win.Darren O’Leary led the charge for Mac Cumhaills, the former Finn Harps player was instrumental and delivered a brilliant personal display, but it was all in vain against a slicker more experienced opponent.Glenswilly lost their opening Donegal SFC group game with Ardara, and with them at the wrong of the league table, many pundits were writing their obituary – saying they were now a spent force.However, back-to-back wins against Dungloe and Bundoran ensured they topped the group, and today’s win sees them back in the last four of the Donegal SFC.With Michael Murphy, Neil Gallagher and Gary McFadden all on top form, you wouldn’t bet against Glenswilly going all the way like they did in 2011 and 2013. Final score: Glenswilly 2-20 Mac Cumhaills 1-12Glenswilly power past Mac Cumhaills to book semi-final spot was last modified: September 24th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
It has been confirmed that license applications that would have granted an exploration company access to gold mining across 52 townlands in Donegal have been withdrawn. On Monday, a representative from Great Glen Resources said the mining company would no longer be seeking exploratory prospective licenses for Donegal.In a statement, the company said: “Great Glen Resources Ltd. would like to make the community of Donegal aware of their decision to withdraw their application for PLs 3071, 3978, 4548 & 4559 with immediate effect. The Exploration and Mining Division (EMD) have been notified of this decision.” The withdrawal follows days after a large crowd in Glenfinn, one of the areas Great Glen Resources sought to search for precious minerals, came out to oppose the proposal.Cllr Michael Mac Giolla Easbuig, who previously urged the people to object the plans, said while the news was ‘encouraging’, communities should stand ready for further applications from other companies in the future.“The news that Great Glen Resources has decided to withdraw their application is certainly encouraging for the 52 townlands across Donegal.“But, I cannot stress enough the caution the community must take with this news,” he added. “Communities must stay vigilant because just because this company has withdrawn their plan does not mean that other companies will now not apply.“At the end of the day, we are talking about mining companies,” Mac Giolla Easbuig said. “They are ruthless and do not have any consideration or the best interests for the communities in Donegal or its environment.“I would applaud the communities that have organised themselves and ask them to continue with their resolve because when we as a community come together, it is clear that we can achieve what we want to achieve.”Exploration company scrap plans to mine gold in Donegal was last modified: June 12th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
28 April 2016Weighing two metric tons and rising six metres, a bronze statue of Nelson Mandela with his right arm raised and hand in a fist was unveiled in the Palestine economic capital, Ramallah, on 26 April.Created by South African artists Christina Salvodi, Lungisa Khala and Tanya Lee‚ the project was funded by the City of Johannesburg.The statue took seven months to produce and will be placed on high land for “all the people of Palestine to see”, according to Sowetan Live. It is in an area of Ramallah currently being developed and already named Mandela Square.At the unveiling, Johannesburg mayor Parks Tau was joined by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas‚ mayor of Ramallah‚ Mousa Hadid‚ and officials of the South African embassy.See more:“We’re very excited we were finally able to unveil the statue on the eve of South Africa celebrating 22 years of freedom,” said Tau. “This statue is a symbol of solidarity from the people of Johannesburg and the people of South Africa to the people of Palestine.“It is about our commitment towards the achievement of lasting peace in the Middle East.”(Images: City of Johannesburg, Facebook)Source: Sowetan Live
With Opposition parties alleging “compromise on J&K special status”, Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Tuesday convened an all-party meeting on the implementation of new GST regime here.“The meet is to evolve a broad-based consensus on adopting any tax regime,” said Ms. Mufti at the venue of Sher-e-Kashmir International Convention Centre in Srinagar. Senior Congress leader Nawang Rigzin Jora said his party sought details of the Cabinet meeting that passed the GST draft Bill last week. “We wanted to know if 101st amendment made to the constitution is in toto being ratified or a draft Bill is approved by the Cabinet. The government policy did not seem clear,” said Mr. Jora.Democratic Party Nationalist chairman Hassan Mir said his concern is that “how J&K could benefit from GST and retain taxation powers at the same time”.The all-party meet was attended by National Conference’s Abdul Rahim Rather, Devinder Singh Rana and Nasir Aslam Wani and Congress’ Nawang Rigzin Jora, Ajaz Ahmad Khan, Usman Majeed and G.N. Monga.
A retired officer of the Bangladesh Air Force has advised India, specifically Assam, to shift focus from the exercise to update the National Register of Citizens (NRC) to creating a climate of confidence and capitalising on connectivity through Bangladesh.“Assam was one of the richest Indian states at the time of India’s partition; today it is one of the poorest. The State is virtually cut-off from mainland India, and is thereby deprived of much needed investment. Assam could improve its investment climate by using Bangladesh’s rivers, roads, rails and air links,” Ishfaq Ilahi Choudhury, a retired Air Commodore, wrote in the Dhaka-based Daily Star.The only beneficiaries of the NRC issue, he said, are those who are against friendly relations between India and Bangladesh. Communal forces in India and Bangladesh are exploiting the situation, waiting for an opportune moment to strike, he felt, advising Dhaka to protest “this game of finger-pointing without substantive evidence”.Mr .Choudhury suggested that the Sheikh Hasina government should increase vigilance along the 4,096 km border with India. “The aim should be to check for the possible illegal entry of Indian citizens into Bangladesh. Let us hope that good sense prevails in the BJP leadership and they do not dent a friendly Indo-Bangladesh relationship that has been constructed with due diligence over the last decade,” he said.The opinion attains significance in view of a dip in ties with neighbours such as Maldives and Nepal besides Pakistan.According to Mr. Choudhury, many in Bangladesh took as “empty rhetoric aimed at Hindu voters” the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s 2014 election campaign against illegal trespassers from Bangladesh, as well as BJP president Amit Shah’s assertion in 2016 that his government would push out Muslims while allowing Hindu migrants from Bangaldesh to settle in India.“However, when BJP came to power in Assam, they restarted the long-stalled NRC process. A part of the draft NRC was released on the midnight of December 31, 2017, and subsequently on July 30, 2018, the full draft of the NRC was released. It appeared that out of about 35 million who had submitted papers for citizenship registration in Assam, over 4 million were rejected,” he said.It can be presumed that the bulk of these so-called “illegal trespassers from Bangladesh” who could not prove their Indian citizenship are poor Muslim farmers who had settled in the Brahmaputra valley in Assam many generations ago, Mr Choudhury said.Although India has clarified there is a provision for the NRC-excluded to appeal all the way to the Supreme Court, seeking justice from the Indian apex court would remain a far cry for an ordinary individual who is likely to be herded to a deportation camp, he said.“With BJP using the NRC process as an election trump card, we cannot ignore the worst-case scenario of a human onslaught on our border by evicted Muslims from Assam, he warned as Bangladesh can “no longer ignore the jingoistic threats coming out of mid and high-level BJP politicians, many of whom see the migrant population as having links to various Islamist terror organisations”.Where do these people then go, except crowd along the Indo-Bangladesh border, he asked.
Fernandinho compared learning Pep Guardiola’s system to a parent raising a child as Manchester City look to take another step in their defence of the Premier League title against Manchester United.City are two points clear at the top going into Sunday’s Manchester derby at the Etihad Stadium.Midfielder Fernandinho has been the subject of lavish praise from Guardiola as City have gone from strength to strength, and the Brazil international explained the steps it has taken them to get to this point after going trophy-less in their first season under the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! “When you are a father, when you talk to your son or your daughter for the first time, they don’t understand you,” Fernandinho told The Telegraph. “Of course, you have patience and you keep talking to them and eventually they do understand.”You tell them: ‘You have to do this, you cannot do this’ and, as they grow, they start to get it. Then, when they understand, they are no longer babies. They are growing up.”That is what it is like with Pep. At first you don’t understand. But then you grow up, you work and now we understand the things he wants much better. It’s not like the first season when it took him more time to make us understand his ideas.”Some players didn’t understand immediately what he wanted. Everyone was learning. Now, it only takes a gesture from him and we understand. It has become easier.”It’s a synchronisation, you know – the synchronisation has to be precise.”Everyone knows their role and what they have to do on the pitch. So, for example, if you are playing against a team with very fast, attacking wingers, we cannot go forward without someone – me – covering those players if the full-backs [Benjamin] Mendy and [Kyle] Walker have joined the attack.””The responsibility on me is big but I feel great because I know how important I am for the team,” he added of his own role in midfield. “In my country, they used to call players who play in my position a defensive midfielder but it is not defensive. I try to win the ball high up the pitch to start attacks but it isn’t just me.”When the other team has the ball we are all under instruction to win it back. We defend with 10 outfield players. The key is to be compact going both ways, when we are attacking and defending, because this is how to keep control.”