SA Roosters Men’s Open Captain Ferghus Kernahan and SA Roosters Men’s Open Head Coach Dean Philp have been selected in the inaugural Sydney Roosters squad to compete in the second year of the NRL Touch Premiership.The achievement is a significant milestone for Kernahan, who had represented South Australia for eight years at junior level before an ACL injury hampered his initial senior representation. Since recovering, Kernahan has represented South Australia at the annual National Touch League in both T-League and Men’s Open divisions, most recently leading the Men’s Open in their 2019 campaign.“I’m extremely proud to have been selected for the Sydney Roosters and excited to be part of the NRL Touch Premiership,” he said. “Initially, I really just want to enjoy the moment, but I can see this having positive long-terms effects on both my development and the development of Touch Football in South Australia.”Kernahan has also broadened his skillset into coaching, both locally in South Australia and at national events with the South Australian U18 Boys team.Philp is one of two Elite accredited coaches in South Australia and has significant coaching experience at both local and state level, most notably with the South Australian U18 Boys Team, Alliance Cup Men’s Open team and NTL Men’s T-League and Men’s Open team.Philp sees the opportunities that the Sydney Roosters and the NRL Touch Premiership present as invaluable to the development of touch in South Australia:“[Having the] Sydney Roosters in the NRL Touch Premiership is our dream for players in South Australia. We have a very close community where talent and knowledge develop and flow easily,” Philp said. “I’m excited to imagine a future where our juniors can look up to mentors who have made it – and then start the climb towards that dream.”On being selected as the Assistant Coach to the Sydney Roosters, Philp was surprised but thankful for the opportunity: “As a coach I’m here to help others develop their game, teamwork and character. Being part of Sydney Roosters will help me help others get there too.”Kernahan and Philp will take the field with experienced Australian players like Steve Roberts and Stuart Brierty as part of the Sydney Roosters squad, and both are excited about the opportunity this presents to learn valuable lessons on performance and leadership from these phenomenal athletes.When asked who the biggest influences on their Touch Football careers were, Kernahan and Philp had a long list: “Rob Day, Ninh Duong, Michael Sheeky, Mark Jones, Grant Richards, Dave Nolan, Greg Frost, Kelly Rowe and Anthony Grandison have all been key South Australian figures who have contributed immensely to the development of Touch Football in SA.The Sydney Roosters will play the Brisbane Broncos on Adelaide Oval on Friday 28th June, with the match played prior to the Sydney Roosters vs Melbourne Storm NRL fixture.
The group had asked the board to apply the same standard to the project as it did with the cancelled Energy East pipeline before it submits its final report to the federal government.But the federal regulator said Stand.earth’s proposal missed its deadlines and repeated requests made by several other parties that had already been denied.Meantime, cabinet is under immense pressure to decide the fate of the pipeline before the federal election in the fall.There is also pressure to get the expansion built because Ottawa bought the existing pipeline from Kinder Morgan for $4.5 billion last August, after political opposition to the expansion left the company’s shareholders reluctant to proceed. Vanessa Adams, spokeswoman for Sohi, wouldn’t comment on Thursday on whether a cabinet ruling could be delayed.But she said in an email the federal government wants to “achieve the required public trust” to help move resources to market by first addressing environmental, Indigenous and local concerns.She said a 60-member consultation team in British Columbia and Alberta has met with more than 85 of 117 Indigenous groups impacted by TMX and more meetings are taking place daily.On Tuesday, the NEB rejected a motion by Stand.earth filed on Jan. 21 demanding it add consideration of the project’s upstream and downstream greenhouse gas emissions to its review of marine shipping issues. CALGARY, A.B. – An environmental group that tried to widen the scope of the National Energy Board’s reconsideration of the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion says it fully expects the board to endorse the project again in its ruling today.“I think the NEB has a long record of siding with industry over communities and other concerns … so we have every expectation that they’re going to recommend the project go ahead despite the serious problems with it,” said Sven Biggs, climate campaigner for Stand.earth, a Vancouver environmental group formerly called ForestEthics.Opponents of the project are already planning their response, which will include legal challenges, he said on Thursday. “It’s likely there are going to be more lawsuits and more delays because of them, and if the cabinet decides to go ahead and restart construction, you’ll see protests in the streets and along the pipeline route,” he said.The federal regulator is scheduled to release its recommendations today but the restart of construction of the controversial crude conduit from Edmonton to Burnaby, B.C., still faces hurdles.The NEB’s 2016 approval of the project was set aside last summer by the Federal Court of Appeal which found that the regulator had not properly considered how southern resident killer whales would be affected by additional tanker traffic because of the increase in crude oil flows.The court also found there was insufficient consultation by the federal government with Indigenous communities.In response, Ottawa ordered the NEB to reopen its review process to fill in the gap on marine life and Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi ordered a new round of consultations with affected Indigenous groups.The NEB report’s delivery will start the clock on a 90-day deadline for cabinet to decide whether the project should proceed, but officials in Sohi’s office have said a final decision won’t be made until consultations are complete, which means delays are possible.
Barcelona: Lionel Messi could be among a number of players rested by Barcelona on Saturday as Ernesto Valverde keeps one eye on their Champions League second leg against Manchester United. Valverde said on Friday that Messi may be spared the trip to Huesca, who sit bottom of La Liga, after a collision with United’s Chris Smalling on Wednesday left the Argentinian with a bruised nose and cheek. “It’s possible,” said Valverde, when asked about the chance of Messi sitting out this weekend. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over Chandigarh”He’s fine but it was a big hit. He was affected the day after and during the match, it was like being hit by a truck. We will analyse him later but it is a possibility.” Luke Shaw’s own-goal meant Barca took a 1-0 victory away from Old Trafford and they can afford to rotate ahead of the return, given they sit 11 points clear at the top of La Liga. Kevin Prince-Boateng and Jeison Murillo, who have hardly featured since joining in January, could be given rare outings while Ousmane Dembele is likely to make his first appearance in a month after recovering from a hamstring injury. “There will be changes tomorrow because the calendar is very congested,” Valverde said. “Another intense match is waiting for us tomorrow and then again on Tuesday, so we will make changes.” If Dembele comes through the game against Huesca unscathed, the Frenchman could be in line to start against United at Camp Nou. “Tomorrow’s game is important for Dembele but not because of United, because of tomorrow,” Valverde said.
New Delhi: The country’s largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) Friday said it will set up a multi-speciality hospital and a senior secondary school in Sitapur in Gujarat. Both projects will be fully-funded as CSR initiatives by MSI with an investment of around Rs 125 crore over a five-year period, it said in a statement. “Suzuki Group has set up its manufacturing plant in Hansalpur and continues to invest in the region. While we expand our business, we feel that it is our responsibility to positively impact the local community in the adjoining villages,” MSI MD and CEO Kenichi Ayukawa said. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalThrough a need assessment, the company found that access to quality and affordable healthcare and education was an urgent requirement in this area, he added. The auto major has partnered Zydus Hospitals for the hospital which would be managed and operated by Ramanbhai Foundation, the CSR arm of Zydus Group. The hospital is expected to serve over 3 lakh people residing in Sitapur and adjoining villages at affordable charges. Starting with a 50-bed facility, the hospital will be progressively expanded to 100 beds. Earlier in September 2018, MSI had partnered Zydus Hospitals to set up a medical facility at Becharaji village in Mehsana district. The school — Maruti Suzuki Podar Learn School — will be built in a phased manner on a 7.5 acre plot, starting with a primary wing followed by senior secondary school, the company said.
Mumbai: The makers of Vivek Oberoi-starrer biopic on Prime Minister Narendra Modi Friday announced that the film will be released countrywide on May 24, a day after the results of the Lok Sabha elections are declared. The film, titled PM Narendra Modi, was earlier set to release on April 11 but was banned by the Election Commission. In its order last month, the EC had banned the screening of film during the poll period, saying any such film that subserves purpose of any political entity or individual should not be displayed in the electronic media. Also Read – ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ has James Cameron’s fingerprints all over it: Arnold SchwarzeneggerProducer Sandip Ssingh said he hopes the film will have a smooth run in the theatres. “As a responsible citizen we respect the law of the country. After a lot of discussions and keeping the curiosity and excitement about the film in mind we have decided to release the film immediately after the Lok Sabha election results,” Singh said in a statement. “We are now releasing our film on 24th May 2019. This is the first time a film will be promoted for only four days. I hope now nobody has any problem with the film and we are hoping for the smooth release this time,” he added. Directed by Omung Kumar, the film also features Boman Irani, Manoj Joshi, Prashant Narayanan, Zarina Wahab, among others.
New Delhi: A sub-inspector (SI) of Delhi Police allegedly shot himself dead in Vasant Vihar on Tuesday. According to police at 3.28 am a call was received at Vasant Vihar police station regarding the admission of sub-inspector Sanjeev Kumar, a driver of PCR at AIIMS Trauma Centre. The investigating officer went to the hospital and found that the injured has sustained bullet injury. The injured was sitting out side of the PCR van on a chair, while ASI Pooran Mal and gunman heard a gunshot. Upon checking, they found his service pistol is hanging with cord and blood is oozing out from his chest, his neck was down. Later, he succumbed to his injury.
OSU redshirt senior H-back Braxton Miller (5) runs with the ball during a game against Michigan State on Nov. 21 at Ohio Stadium. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead | Photo EditorOhio State’s 17-14 loss at home to Michigan State on Saturday not only ended its nation-leading 23-game winning streak but also ended its three-week stint as the No. 3 team in the College Football Playoff rankings.On Tuesday, the CFP committee released its fourth of six sets of rankings, which featured the 10-1 Buckeyes dropping from the third spot to No. 8.Two Big Ten teams now sit in front of OSU in the rankings: the team that ruined its perfect record, Michigan State (No. 5), and undefeated Iowa (No. 4). Iowa has already clinched the Big Ten West Division and a spot in the Big Ten Championship Game. Michigan State can lock the East division up with a win over Penn State on Saturday, but if the Spartans get upset, the winner of the OSU vs. Michigan game will earn the trip to Indianapolis to face off with the Hawkeyes.The other undefeated team, Clemson, remained in the top spot for the fourth time in as many polls. One-loss Alabama stood strong in the No. 2 spot for the third straight week. Rounding out the top four with Iowa was No. 3 Oklahoma, which springboarded Notre Dame, Iowa and Oklahoma State from last week’s No. 7 ranking for one of the tentative playoff spots.After topping Wisconsin 13-7 on the road, No. 16 Northwestern knocked the Badgers out of the top 25 and trimmed the number of Big Ten schools appearing in the rankings to five.Two more sets of rankings are set to be announced: one on Dec. 1, followed by the final top 25 and bowl selections on Dec. 6, the day after conference championships conclude.The entire top 25 of the fourth set of CFP rankings can be found below: Clemson Alabama Oklahoma Iowa Michigan State Notre Dame Baylor Ohio State Stanford Michigan Oklahoma State Florida Florida State North Carolina Navy Northwestern Oregon Ole Miss TCU Washington State Mississippi State UCLA Utah ToledoTemple
Borussia Monchengladbach continues is good pace in the German Bundesliga after defeating Schalke 2-0 at their own home.Borussia Monchengladbach is currently living the dream in the German Bundesliga.The team is in second place of the table with just seven points less than leaders Borussia Dortmund.Gladbach has won 13 matches out of 20 played, drawing three times and only losing four games.And today, the team defeated Schalke 2-0 at their own home to continue their good run in the 2018-2019 season.“I was a bit worried after the first goal. Chris’ shot hit my hand on the way in. I went to the referee and told him that it touched my hand, but I never intended it,” midfielder Florian Neuhaus said to the team’s official website.Crouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“I think it was the right decision to allow the goal to stand. Toto did really well for my goal – he drove at the defense, played me in superbly and with a little bit of luck, the ball went in.”“The two teams sort of canceled each other out in the opening half an hour. We remained patient though, didn’t allow them any real chances and denied them any good counterattacking opportunities,” defender Matthias Ginter added.“We knew that Schalke would get tired and then make mistakes. Lars and Toto really took advantage of the first gap that appeared leading up to the red card.”“It was a very good away performance. We were patient and stuck to our gameplan,” forward Lars Stindl commented.“We barely allowed anything through at the back and our positional play in the final third was decent. We never gave up hope though and we got our reward. All in all, it’s a deserved victory.”“We’re delighted to still be involved at the top, but it’s too early to think about anything more than that. The focus switches to Hertha from tomorrow – we can only be successful if we carry on thinking game by game,” coach Dieter Hecking concluded.